noun (plural ossuaries)
- A container or room in which the bones of dead people are placed.More example sentences
- The ossuary contains the bones from six different people, including a male aged about sixty.
- The site is made up of a burial area, an individual ossuary tower, a common ossuary / cinerary, and a service area.
- The French buried individually where they could, but they too used mass graves and ossuaries, and favoured the concentration of the dead into large nécropoles nationaux.
mid 17th century: from late Latin ossuarium, formed irregularly from Latin os, oss- 'bone'.
More definitions of ossuaryDefinition of ossuary in:
- The US English dictionary