Definition of osteitis in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
1Inflammation of the substance of a bone.
- Skeletal radiographs showed linear radiolucencies in the metaphyses of the long bones and lucent areas in the iliac bones, consistent with osteitis.
- The infection may extend to the cartilaginous skeleton of the ear canal and through Santorini's fissures to reach the temporal bone, causing osteitis.
- There were three major complications; two were due to infection causing osteitis and the other developed stenosis of the external ear canal.
1.1 (osteitis fibrosa cystica /fʌɪˌbrəʊsə ˈsɪstɪkə/) another term for von Recklinghausen's disease (sense 2).
- These criteria included nephrolithiasis, osteitis fibrosa cystica, proximal muscle weakness, atrophy, hyperreflexia and gait disturbances.
- Excess PTH also can result in subperiosteal resorption, leading to osteitis fibrosa cystica with bone cysts and brown tumors of the long bones.
1.2 (osteitis deformans /dɪˈfɔːmanz/) another term for Paget's disease (sense 1).
- Paget's disease of bone (also known as osteitis deformans) is a nonmalignant disease involving accelerated bone resorption followed by deposition of dense, chaotic, and ineffectively mineralized bone matrix.
Definition of osteitis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India