Definition of osteitis in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
1Inflammation of the substance of a bone.
- Skeletal radiographs showed linear radiolucencies in the metaphyses of the long bones and lucent areas in the iliac bones, consistent with osteitis.
- The infection may extend to the cartilaginous skeleton of the ear canal and through Santorini's fissures to reach the temporal bone, causing osteitis.
- There were three major complications; two were due to infection causing osteitis and the other developed stenosis of the external ear canal.
1.1 (osteitis fibrosa cystica /fʌɪˌbrəʊsə ˈsɪstɪkə/) another term for von Recklinghausen's disease (sense 2).
- These criteria included nephrolithiasis, osteitis fibrosa cystica, proximal muscle weakness, atrophy, hyperreflexia and gait disturbances.
- Excess PTH also can result in subperiosteal resorption, leading to osteitis fibrosa cystica with bone cysts and brown tumors of the long bones.
1.2 (osteitis deformans /dɪˈfɔːmanz/) another term for Paget's disease (sense 1).
- Paget's disease of bone (also known as osteitis deformans) is a nonmalignant disease involving accelerated bone resorption followed by deposition of dense, chaotic, and ineffectively mineralized bone matrix.
Definition of osteitis in:
- US English dictionary