Definition of osteoarthritis in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
Degeneration of joint cartilage and the underlying bone, most common from middle age onward. It causes pain and stiffness, especially in the hip, knee, and thumb joints. Compare with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Both of these regimens have been clearly shown to improve pain and disability in osteoarthritis of the knee.
- Knee osteoarthritis is a common but often difficult problem to manage in primary care.
- Some time later I was asked to see a nun who had mild rheumatoid arthritis and well advanced osteoarthritis of both hips.
- Example sentences
- My mother has had two hip replacements and lots of other osteoarthritic problems, and it seems my brother has it too.
- Backache is, however, unrelated to the presence or absence of osteoarthritic changes or to the severity of the curvature.
- Wearily, I eased myself out of the car, wincing from the pain of my osteoarthritic spine.
Words that rhyme with osteoarthritisappendicitis, arthritis, bronchitis, cellulitis, colitis, conjunctivitis, cystitis, dermatitis, encephalitis, gastroenteritis, gingivitis, hepatitis, laryngitis, lymphangitis, meningitis, nephritis, neuritis, pericarditis, peritonitis, pharyngitis, sinusitis, tonsillitis
Definition of osteoarthritis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India