Definition of osteoclast in English:
A large multinucleate bone cell which absorbs bone tissue during growth and healing.
- The rate at which cells called osteoclasts break down bone is slowed, and the production of new bone increases.
- Vitamin D indirectly stimulates osteoclasts to resorb bone and is necessary for the intestinal absorption of calcium.
- Note the presence of numerous osteoclasts lining the bone trabeculae.
- Example sentences
- Bone mineral density is determined by the homeostasis between osteoblastic bone formation and osteoclastic bone resorption.
- At the cellular level, there was decreased osteoblastic and increased osteoclastic activity.
- There is usually scant osteoblastic or osteoclastic activity, and often there is a marrow component with fat or hematopoietic elements.
Definition of osteoclast in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan