- A medical condition in which the protein and mineral content of bone tissue is reduced, but less severely than in osteoporosis.More example sentences
- Over time, the inflammatory pain causes disuse of affected joints leading to generalized osteopenia of whole bones.
- The inability to maximize peak bone mass has significant implications for osteopenia and osteoporosis in adulthood, when bone resorption exceeds bone formation.
- Radiographs will show osteopenia only after there is 20% to 30% bone loss.
1960s: from osteo- and Greek penia 'poverty'.
More definitions of osteopeniaDefinition of osteopenia in:
- The US English dictionary