- A man employed to look after the horses of people staying at an inn.More example sentences
- After searching the entire castle, I eventually found them in the stables handing their horses over to the hostlers after a ride.
- He partook of a leisurely breakfast, paid his reckoning, had the ostler bring his horse, and set off to the sound of church bells in the clear air.
- When the two of them reached the entrance to the stables, a hostler came walking up.
late Middle English: from Old French hostelier 'innkeeper', from hostel (see hostel).
More definitions of ostlerDefinition of ostler in:
- The US English dictionary