noun[mass noun] Medicine
- Inflammation of the ear, usually distinguished as otitis externa (of the passage of the outer ear), otitis media (of the middle ear), and otitis interna (of the inner ear; labyrinthitis).More example sentences
- This difference was shown separately for recurrences of both acute otitis media and secretory otitis media.
- Trauma, chronic exposure to moisture, and exostoses make otitis externa a common ailment among surfers.
- Other exclusion criteria were a diagnosis of chronic suppurative otitis media or otitis with effusion, and otoscopic appearance consistent with crying or fever alone.
late 18th century: modern Latin, from Greek ous, ōt- 'ear' + -itis.
More definitions of otitisDefinition of otitis in:
- The US English dictionary