1A semiaquatic fish-eating mammal of the weasel family, with an elongated body, dense fur, and webbed feet.
- Lutra and other genera, family Mustelidae: several species, including the European otter (L. lutra). See also sea otter
More example sentences
- The weasel family includes such colourful characters as otters, wolverines, skunks, minks and badgers.
- As members of the marten family, giant otters are susceptible to both diseases.
- It also walks on the soles of its feet like a bear, but the resemblance ends there, as the badger is actually from the same family as otters and weasels.
Old English otr, ot(t)or, of Germanic origin; related to Greek hudros 'water snake'.
Definition of otter in:
- The US English dictionary