- A form of lute or mandolin played principally in Arab countries.More example sentences
- Great cheer can be produced by an oud, harp, psaltery and frame drum.
- Not only does it contain traditional ‘maqam’ song styles, but it is also performed using the definitive Arab instrument, the oud, which is a fretless lute with between five to seven pairs of strings.
- Using Spanish guitars, tribal flutes, zylls, ouds, sitars, tamboras, and other eclectic instruments, they explored different sounds, sometimes at odds, sometimes in harmony, but always inventive.
mid 18th century: from Arabic al-‘ūd.
More definitions of oudDefinition of oud in:
- The US English dictionary