Definition of outcrop in English:
A rock formation that is visible on the surface: dramatic limestone outcrops
More example sentences
- Surrounding this lowlying area are ‘horsts’ of Palaeozoic rocks, and outcrops of Triassic conglomerates that drain into the basins of the Trent, Warwickshire Avon and the Severn.
- Xenoliths, which are pieces of wall rock, or xenocrysts, which are single mineral grains that originate from xenoliths, can commonly be recognized at outcrops of magmatic rocks.
- In western Thailand and eastern Myanmar, Mesozoic rocks are scattered and discontinuous, and outcrops of Palaeogene rocks are very rare.
verb (outcrops, outcropping, outcropped)[no object] Back to top
Appear as an outcrop.
- At the very entrance of the cave there is a mammoth rock outcropping with a huge footprint.
- From there a path twists its way through outcropping crags and tiny lochans to the summit, perched precariously on top of its own little crag.
- Back tire slurping and bouncing wildly, I kept going, finally slithering to a halt when I saw Jeff and Joe crouched under a rock outcropping.
- Example sentences
- In 2002, a dozen Moroccan soldiers planted a flag on Parsley Island, a small, uninhabited outcropping off the shore near Ceuta.
- My den was probably a cubbyhole in some hillock or outcropping of rock.
- I had my tripod set up on a rock outcropping in the direction of the wind.
Definition of outcrop in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India