Definition of outcross in English:
Breed (an animal or plant) with one not closely related.
- No affected kittens were born from outcrossing parents of an affected animal with normal unrelated cats.
- However, in all other cases, inbred lines have to be produced before outcrossing them.
- This strain was then outcrossed six times to wild-type worms.
nounBack to top
An animal or plant produced as the result of outcrossing.
- The outcrosses in each plot were removed and then plants were thinned to approximately 6.5 plants/m.
- To ensure that observed chromosome pairing was generally indicative of the species and that there was no difference between selfing and outcrossing, 11 self-crosses and 2 outcrosses were observed.
- While the warmbloods of France, Germany, Sweden, Poland, Hungary and other European countries have produced a number of good individuals, their pedigrees are riddled with recent Thoroughbred, Arabian and other outcrosses.
Definition of outcross in:
- US English dictionary