Definition of outcross in English:
Breed (an animal or plant) with one not closely related.
- No affected kittens were born from outcrossing parents of an affected animal with normal unrelated cats.
- However, in all other cases, inbred lines have to be produced before outcrossing them.
- This strain was then outcrossed six times to wild-type worms.
nounBack to top
An animal or plant produced as the result of outcrossing.
- The outcrosses in each plot were removed and then plants were thinned to approximately 6.5 plants/m.
- To ensure that observed chromosome pairing was generally indicative of the species and that there was no difference between selfing and outcrossing, 11 self-crosses and 2 outcrosses were observed.
- While the warmbloods of France, Germany, Sweden, Poland, Hungary and other European countries have produced a number of good individuals, their pedigrees are riddled with recent Thoroughbred, Arabian and other outcrosses.
Definition of outcross in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia