Definition of outfield in English:
1 Cricket The part of the field furthest from the wicket.
- No-one takes guard at the wicket and the outfield is as rough as a public park.
- It was a slow wicket with an outfield I wouldn't have played football on, and it was never going to be easy to score runs.
- The wicket and outfield was so batsman friendly that any batsman worth his salt could have turned the match on its head.
1.2 [as modifier] Soccer Relating to or denoting all of the players in a team apart from the goalkeeper: the outfield players he has played in all of the outfield positions during his career
More example sentences
- The financial tumult at the club has had a galvanising effect but he says that with a squad of only 17 outfield players, good fortune and consistency will be key to top-flight survival.
- The sight of the outfield player anxiously pulling on an outsized goalkeeper jersey is too rarely seen in these days of substitute goalkeepers.
- To be fair the quality of the outfield positions are excellent now but the goalkeepers are actually woeful.
1.3 [treated as singular or plural] The players stationed in the outfield, regarded collectively.
- Philadelphia's outfield is full of question marks.
- As yesterday's game showed the outfield is an embarrassment.
- The Mariners' outfield was a revolving door last season thanks to injuries and ineffectiveness.
- Example sentences
- As a whole, Toronto's outfielders complement each other well, and should be one of the better outfits in the American League.
- There were some difficult decisions, especially with all the quality outfielders.
- The Yankees and Dodgers made significant changes at the All-Star break, and the Twins and Blue Jays swapped outfielders.
Definition of outfield in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan