Definition of outfitter in English:
1British dated A shop selling men’s clothing.
- Gentlemen's outfitters are traditionally independent clothing shops, often family-run, trading in men's clothes and accessories.
- A walk down the high street reveals two posh dress shops, a complete body therapist, a Highland outfitters, an art gallery and a deli selling expensive sandwiches.
- Her children have grown up and gone to work - her daughter in a lightbulb factory and her son in a gents' outfitters.
2North American A shop selling equipment, typically for outdoor pursuits: a canoe outfitter
More example sentences
- There may be riggers and outfitters with an equipment-rental company, or a factory-labor temp agency with a computer-personnel agency.
- For those who don't want to plan logistics and acquire mountains of survival gear, guided tours with qualified outfitters or environmental groups provide a safe and enjoyable way to see the area.
- From there, it's a 13-hour drive to the trekking-and-rafting hub of Tyungur; outfitters provide minivan transportation.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.