Definition of outfitter in English:
1British dated A shop selling men’s clothing.
- Gentlemen's outfitters are traditionally independent clothing shops, often family-run, trading in men's clothes and accessories.
- A walk down the high street reveals two posh dress shops, a complete body therapist, a Highland outfitters, an art gallery and a deli selling expensive sandwiches.
- Her children have grown up and gone to work - her daughter in a lightbulb factory and her son in a gents' outfitters.
2North American A shop selling equipment, typically for outdoor pursuits: a canoe outfitter
More example sentences
- There may be riggers and outfitters with an equipment-rental company, or a factory-labor temp agency with a computer-personnel agency.
- For those who don't want to plan logistics and acquire mountains of survival gear, guided tours with qualified outfitters or environmental groups provide a safe and enjoyable way to see the area.
- From there, it's a 13-hour drive to the trekking-and-rafting hub of Tyungur; outfitters provide minivan transportation.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia