Definition of outrider in English:
1A person in a motor vehicle or on horseback who goes in front of or beside a vehicle as an escort or guard.
- More than 200 people gathered outside his home on the outskirts of Bolton as a steam-powered cavalcade flanked by police motorcycle outriders escorted him on his final journey.
- To a cheer from the crowd who had stood in the drizzle awaiting the Royals, the Queen, wearing deep purple, and Prince Philip, in morning suit, arrived with an escort of police outriders.
- Police outriders escorted the procession from Lowton Civic Hall to the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital at Pendlebury.
1.1US A mounted official who escorts racehorses to the starting post.
- He spent 30 years with the association, holding down positions as a outrider, paddock judge, and clerk of scales before his retirement in 1995.
- The committee also proposed an amendment to require exercise riders, pony riders, and outriders to wear a safety vest when training, exercising, or ponying a horse.
- One of the horses was caught by the outriders but the other ran to the gap along the rail where Casey was standing.
- Example sentences
- The main town would be the central point of an area with the outriding hamlets and villages contributing to the town's collection.
- After crossing the gritty plain where the outriding developments of greater Los Angeles creep inexorably outward, the road climbed steeply, all curves and switchbacks.
Words that rhyme with outriderparaglider • childminder
Definition of outrider in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.