1A beam, spar, or framework projecting from or over a boat’s side.
- To reduce windage, powerboat owners should lower antennas and outriggers.
- The beam is attached to the columns by means of a specially designed clamping system and has two cantilevered outriggers that anchor the top of the tension cables.
- Their ships normally look much like a flattened arrowhead with two round outrigger pods on the sides containing their weapons.
1.1A float or secondary hull fixed parallel to a canoe or small boat to stabilize it.
- Two outrigger hulls provide stability and prevent the boat from capsizing.
- Their boats are outrigger canoes, and outboard engines are not allowed.
- In 2003, Tim attempted to solo sail from Florida to Cuba in an outrigger canoe.
1.2A boat fitted with an outrigger.
- Children in outriggers surrounded the ship for the better part of the day, making the entire affair seem like a county carnival.
- The fleet consisted of one large fish carrier, a medium purse-seine fishing vessel, three medium sized boats and four ocean going outriggers.
- Ted, a tall, brown tree-trunk of a man, raced outriggers for more than 30 years.
1.3A projecting support similar to an outrigger in another structure or vehicle.
- The machine consisted of the fuselage of a small biplane with two outriggers supporting to engines.
- Unlike the base vehicle, the outriggers stayed steady and well above the track surface, plus the truck drifted slightly at the apogee of each directional change.
- Removable outrigger gear located away from the fuselage centreline is used to lighten the weight of the airborne aircraft.
- Example sentences
- ‘The Scouts are quite proficient but I am keen to see them handling the local outrigged log canoes during the trip,’ he said.
Mid 18th century: perhaps influenced by the obsolete nautical term outligger, in the same sense.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: out|rig¦ger
Definition of outrigger in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.