Art produced by untrained artists, for example children or mentally ill people.
- In the United States, the popular, commercial, and critical interest in folk art and outsider art that has exploded in recent decades is very evident in places like Texas, especially in Houston and Dallas.
- The argument goes that outsider art or Art Brut is strictly un-tutored and exists outside of the normal concept of art.
- Matt Lamb's situation has been both helped and hindered by this history and its influence on both critical and popular understandings of self-taught artists and outsider art.
outsider artist noun
- Example sentences
- Yet, Sesow, who calls himself an outsider artist, avoids the art crowd.
- In balancing the positions of the art school graduate on the one hand and the outsider artist on the other, Chiplis has given the art system a kind of tithe.
- A part of his compromise with the art system has involved incorporating some traits of the outsider artist's type of career.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: out|sider art
Definition of outsider art in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.