Definition of outstanding in English:
1Exceptionally good: the team’s outstanding performance
More example sentences
- Nepal is also, of course, a country of outstanding natural beauty.
- I understood this land was an area of outstanding natural beauty.
- The Lake District National Park is an area of outstanding natural beauty that is protected for the benefit of the nation as a whole.
excellent, marvellous, magnificent, superb, fine, wonderful, superlative, exceptional, formidable, first-class, first-rate, virtuoso, skilful, masterful, masterly
informal great, terrific, tremendous, super, smashing, amazing, amazeballs, fantastic, sensational, stellar, fabulous, fab, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, ace, crack, A1, mean, awesome, magic, bad, wicked, out of this world
Australian informal bonzer
North American informal , dated swell, keen
vulgar slang shit-hot
remarkable, extraordinary, exceptional, striking, eye-catching, vivid, arresting, impressive, distinctive, unforgettable, catchy, haunting, indelible, not/never to be forgotten, memorable, signal, special, momentous, monumental, significant, historic, notable, noteworthy, important, consequential, distinguished, pre-eminent, eminent, well known, famous, famed, celebrated, renowned, notorious, illustrious
informal out of this world
2Not yet paid, resolved, or dealt with: much of the work is still outstanding Julian’s outstanding debts
More example sentences
- It had no bank debt outstanding when the deal was signed late last week.
- In most cases a judge will attempt to help both the borrower and the lender reach an agreement about how the outstanding debt can best be discharged.
- The only circumstances in which they could call in all outstanding debts would be in the event of their own disbandment.
to be done, undone, not done, neglected, omitted, unattended to, unfinished, incomplete, left, remaining, pending, ongoing
unpaid, unsettled, owing, owed, to be paid, payable, receivable, due, overdue, undischarged, in arrears, in the red;
North American delinquent, past due
Words that rhyme with outstandingfreestanding, hardstanding, landing, misunderstanding, notwithstanding, standing, stranding, understanding, upstanding
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan