verb[with object] (usually as adjective outstretched)
- 1Extend or stretch out (something, especially a hand or arm): I walked with my arms outstretchedMore example sentences
- Ethan rose to his feet and outstretched his arms, opening and holding the book out.
- When Jenny turned her head back to David, the boy had already outstretched his hand to her.
- Everything went blank and he gave in and outstretched his hand to Jesse.
- 1.1Go beyond the limit of: their good intentions far outstretched their capacity to offer helpMore example sentences
- Some athletes clearly possess talent that outstretches their capacity for hard work, while other athletes overachieve as a result of ferocious dedication, teamwork, and attention to detail.
More definitions of outstretchDefinition of outstretch in:
- The US English dictionary