- 1Of, on, or from the outside: outward pressureMore example sentences
- I only relinquish acceptance of this nomination under the pressure of outward circumstances, a nomination which I regard as a great honour in every respect.
- The cell thus exerts outward pressure on its cell wall, and when all cells are maintaining this pressure, the plant gains rigidity.
- These scenes were videotaped rather than shot on film, to give the landscape an intimate intensity as the outward manifestation of his interior struggle.
- 1.1Relating to the external appearance of something rather than its true nature: an outward display of friendlinessMore example sentences
- It may be theologically sound, but I am uncomfortable with the emphasis on outward form rather than true inner spiritual acceptance of the message.
- Though just an anatomical study, it already foreshadowed the sculptor's later efforts to reveal the essence rather than merely copy outward appearances.
- There has been a lot said lately about a person's outward appearance being a true reflection of the inner being.
- 2Going out or away from a place: the outward voyageMore example sentences
- That is, the freight of a ship for a single outward voyage from Britain was computed by the Navy Board according to the amount of cargo, usually expressed in tons, actually loaded on a vessel.
- You can return with consecutive flights and regain the day lost on the outward journey.
- Take one aspirin on the outward bound journey and two within 36 hours of return.
adverbBack to top
- Outwards.More example sentences
- Cue balls also have sweet spots that radiate outward from the center.
- As the particle gains energy, it picks up speed and spirals outward from the center of the machine.
- The first priority of builders is the immediate surrounding environment, starting with the home and moving outward from there.
- More example sentences
- The very grammar and syntax - the apparently casual and impatient plus-signs, the compound words and accumulated adjectives - are, on reflection, less about clutter and outwardness than internal, inaccessible meditation.
- Argonauts of the future, or shipwrecked sailors of the past, we move from actual space to imaginary space, from inwardness to outwardness, from intimacy to immensity.