Definition of over-represent in English:
1Include a disproportionately large number of (a particular category): using telephone owners as the sampling list would seriously over-represent the better off
More example sentences
- He commented that an effort is made not to over-represent a particular demographic, but that it is true that ‘many notes are from people that are downtrodden or disenfranchised.’
- This distribution over-represents pre-registration house officers, who make up 10% of the trainee population.
- It over-represents the status quo, the ideological middle, and the wealthy, and leaves everyone else unrepresented.
1.1 (be over-represented) Form a disproportionately large percentage: women are over-represented in fields such as education, English, and psychology
More example sentences
- Managerial and middle-class occupations are over-represented in its ranks, while the working class is proportionately under-represented.
- Table 6 tells us that, based upon this sample of occupations, immigrants make up a small share of employment in occupations that are growing rapidly and are over-represented in occupations that are labor intensive.
- However, although more women are undertaking non-traditional degrees, they continue to be under-represented in the degrees expected to lead to higher paying occupations, and over-represented in those expected to be lower paying.
- Example sentences
- In Figure 4.5 we have a very serious over-representation of people who do not watch soaps, because there are 35 people in the sample who do not watch them, which is much larger than the 25 who should be in the sample.
- She stresses that the condition's over-representation in women may be partly because women live longer than men and the disease occurs more frequently in older people.
- We are looking at a 40 per cent unemployment rate in the community and an over-representation in the social system.
Definition of over-represent in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan