Definition of overbearing in English:
Unpleasantly overpowering: an overbearing, ill-tempered brute
More example sentences
- Our disciple goes from pompous to positively overbearing.
- The dictionary definition of arrogance suggests overbearing behavior based on inappropriate views.
- This is a small, proud country existing in the shadow of a large, overbearing neighbour.
domineering, dominating, autocratic, tyrannical, despotic, heavy-handed, oppressive, high-handed, bullying, high and mighty, lordly, lording it, officious, masterful, dictatorial, bossy, imperious, pontifical, pompous, peremptory, arrogant, cocksure, proud, overproud, overweening, presumptuous, opinionated, dogmatic
- Example sentences
- But then, if listeners feel the instinctive need to distance themselves from this overbearingly emotional display, there's also something bizarrely compelling about it, at least for me.
- The fact is, many physicists can be overbearingly macho about their field.
- The film reiterates this distinction between worlds by directly contrasting the aquamarines, open sky and searing light of Spain with the cold, wet and overbearingly cramped world of London.