Definition of overbearing in English:
Unpleasantly overpowering: an overbearing, ill-tempered brute
More example sentences
- Our disciple goes from pompous to positively overbearing.
- The dictionary definition of arrogance suggests overbearing behavior based on inappropriate views.
- This is a small, proud country existing in the shadow of a large, overbearing neighbour.
domineering, dominating, autocratic, tyrannical, despotic, heavy-handed, oppressive, high-handed, bullying, high and mighty, lordly, lording it, officious, masterful, dictatorial, bossy, imperious, pontifical, pompous, peremptory, arrogant, cocksure, proud, overproud, overweening, presumptuous, opinionated, dogmatic
- Example sentences
- But then, if listeners feel the instinctive need to distance themselves from this overbearingly emotional display, there's also something bizarrely compelling about it, at least for me.
- The fact is, many physicists can be overbearingly macho about their field.
- The film reiterates this distinction between worlds by directly contrasting the aquamarines, open sky and searing light of Spain with the cold, wet and overbearingly cramped world of London.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.