verb[with object] (often as noun overclocking)
Run (the processor of one’s computer) at a speed higher than that intended by the manufacturers.
- Tom has found a way of overclocking the socket processors from AMD.
- We look at what happens when both processors are overclocked at 4.1 GHz.
- This should prove to help with overclocking the video card beyond its default clock speeds.
- Example sentences
- Some time ago Gigabyte changed its attitude towards overclockers and now the mainboards from this manufacturer come with the appropriate BIOS.
- Abit Computer is primarily known for its high-end mainboards designed for overclockers and enthusiasts, but those are not the only products that the company makes and yet intends to make.
- Here is a test of the health of the overclocking fans, the ultimate overclocker's processor.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: over|clock
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.