Definition of overembellish in English:
Make (something) too ornate or complicated: use your imagination, but do not overembellish the presentation (as adjective overembellished) you really need oodles of attitude to carry off those overembellished costumes
More example sentences
- The overembellished coconut cheesecake is bland stuff.
- The entrees tend to be overworked and overembellished, perhaps a holdover from the chef's stint doing fancy hotel food.
- I was similarly uncharmed by the promising sounding mini ice-cream sandwiches, which seemed overembellished and not freshly made.
- Example sentences
- The speed at which these small pieces of furniture are made leave little room for overembellishment.
- When acquiring what is essentially a working tool, you should be wary of overembellishment.
- He rarely engages in the hyperbole or overembellishment so characteristic of many sportswriters.
Definition of overembellish in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan