Definition of overembellish in English:
Make (something) too ornate or complicated: use your imagination, but do not overembellish the presentation (as adjective overembellished) you really need oodles of attitude to carry off those overembellished costumes
More example sentences
- In the past she cleverly stayed ahead of the game by overembellishing the dresses and decking them in fur.
- Wilson may be guilty of overembellishing his case on several minor points, but on the central question he brought up he was right.
- Whilst a cynic might argue it was all a little over the top, the overall impression was that the speeches didn't over-embellish the man or his achievements.
- Example sentences
- She wrote succinctly and on-topic without overembellishment.
- Her designs are deceptively simple, allowing the action to proceed without over-embellishment.
- He rarely engages in the hyperbole or overembellishment so characteristic of many sportswriters.
Definition of overembellish in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.