verb (overlies, overlying; past overlay; past participle overlain)[with object]
- Lie on top of: soft clays overlie the basalt • figurative the national situation was overlain by sharp regional differencesMore example sentences
- North of it lies a more permeable medium in the form of sand and gravel overlying silty clay with gravel.
- Here, the upper mudstone of the TST is erosively overlain by 3 m of bioturbated, clayey sandstone and mudstone.
- The discontinuous clay bed is overlain by the top conglomerate, bed 4.
More definitions of overlieDefinition of overlie in:
- The US English dictionary