- 1More important than any other considerations: the overriding concern of the organizers was the financial crisisMore example sentences
most important, of greatest importance, of prime importance, of supreme importance, of greatest significance, uppermost, top, supreme, first, first and foremost, highest, pre-eminent, outstanding, predominant, dominant, prevailing, preponderant, principal, leading, primary, paramount, chief, main, major, most prominent, cardinal, foremost, central, key, focal, pivotal, essential• informal number-one
- But in this case, a number of overriding political considerations made this unviable.
- The overriding concern of the main parties was the seeming lack of any interest in an election by the public.
- A satisfactory and lasting result in the water context cannot be achieved and should not be attempted by wholly divorcing consideration of the overriding conflict.
- 2 • technical Extending or moving over something, especially while remaining in close contact: oceanic lithosphere beneath an overriding continental plateMore example sentences
- If the overriding plate is continental, the volcanic arc expresses itself as an extended mountain range such as the Andes of South America.
- The buoyancy force was calculated from the potential energy difference between the overriding continental plate and the subducting oceanic plate.
- Secondly, the geometry of rigid crust that makes up the overriding plate, will have a big impact on how stress is transmitted into the sediments that are caught up in the subduction zone.