- (In bridge, whist, and similar card games) play a trump that is higher than one already played in the same trick: there was a danger that West would be able to overruffMore example sentences
- B plays his queen of spades and C not wanting to overruff with the 5 (a very high trump) plays his 5.
- Fine so far, as if South had ruffed low, East would have overruffed and returned a trump.
- If West ruffs with his jack, dummy overruffs; if West ruffs with the ace, dummy discards.
Pronunciation: /ˈəʊvərʌf /Back to top
- An act of overruffing: when you see the chance of an easy overruff, don’t be in too much of a hurry to take itMore example sentences
- He considered a crossruff, but there was a considerable danger that East would be able to score an overruff with the spade nine.
- Accurate defense usually requires careful timing. Consider the alternatives before you routinely try for a ruff or an overruff.
More definitions of overruffDefinition of overruff in:
- The US English dictionary