- 1Reject or disallow by exercising one’s superior authority: Chief Judge Moran overruled the government’s objectionsMore example sentences
- Under the rules outlined by the Pentagon, in the unlikely case that a tribunal hands down an acquittal or a light sentence, US authorities can overrule it and impose their own judgment.
- A Presidential veto may be overruled by Parliament, provided there are 160 votes in support of such a motion.
- Under the constitution, to overrule a presidential veto requires a majority of the total number of MPs, meaning 121 of 240 MPs.
- 1.1Reject the decision or opinion of: welfare staff overruled an experienced detectiveMore example sentences
- Usually, of course, the question of overruling a prior decision won't arise.
- Her husband agrees, but of course self image overrules any outside opinion every time.
- That decision may yet be overruled if enough clubs challenge it at the annual general meeting on May 30.