Definition of overscrupulous in English:
Excessively scrupulous: life was often too difficult for working-class mothers to be overscrupulous
More example sentences
- So we now get stories such as that of an army's nighttime panic when the imagination produces non-existent enemies or a theologically significant animal fable about an overscrupulous ass and a self-serving wolf.
- But they were blocked by overscrupulous higher-ups who ‘want you to kill the guy, but not the guy next to him,’ as one of his sources in the military put it.
- Luther always claimed to have been a good, if somewhat overscrupulous monk, and Lortz found no evidence whatever to doubt his claim.
- Example sentences
- Overscrupulousness is born of pride and arrogance rather than true holiness.
- The actor's Inspector Javert strikes a fine balance between overscrupulousness, fastidiousness, and menace.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan