- 1Tower above and cast a shadow over: an enormous oak tree stood overshadowing the cottageMore example sentences
- The petals from the surrounding cherry blossoms were falling, as the shadow of Tokyo Tower overshadowed us.
- The focus of his meditation is the lighthouse that rears up from within the complex; in rectifying the lapses of the Pallavas, this tower also overshadows the cave temple of Mahishasura-mardini.
- The giant pole has been erected just inside the boundary wall of the ESB depot but it completely overshadows the adjacent town library and it towers over a seated picnic area in the immediate vicinity.
- 1.1Cast gloom over: it is easy to let this feeling of tragedy overshadow his storyMore example sentences
cast gloom over, blight, take the pleasure out of, bring a note of sadness to, take the edge off, mar, spoil, ruin
- Whatever the case, it's a sign of our miserabilist times that precisely the time of year when there is the most fun to be had is overshadowed by tales of gloom.
- Despite the gloom that's overshadowed the sector for a while, he believes that there are reasons to be hopeful.
- Investor gloom may well overshadow improving economic fundamentals through the summer.
- 2Appear more prominent or important than: his competitive nature often overshadows the other qualitiesMore example sentences
- With just five weeks to go before the midterm elections, the talk of war appears to be overshadowing other issues, such as the economy and Social Security.
- The dilemmas with which they had previously wrestled appear to be momentarily overshadowed by their new horizons.
- Routine modernization and the recapitalization of legacy systems appear to overshadow programs that could yield disruptive innovation.
- 2.1Be more impressive or successful than (another person): he was always overshadowed by his brilliant elder brotherMore example sentences
- And his parents always caught him at the wrong times - and then there was always Quasim to overshadow him and make everything worse.
- I can't be on same stage with him because he overshadows me.
- I believe that a good film is always the result of team work where each one has a part to play and no one overshadows anyone.