- 1An unintentional failure to notice or do something: he had simply missed Parsons out by an oversight [mass noun]: was the mistake due to oversight?More example sentences
mistake, error, fault, failure, omission, lapse, inaccuracy, slip, blunder, faux pas, miscalculationBritish • informal boobNorth American • informal goofcarelessness, inattention, neglect, negligence, forgetfulness, inadvertence, laxity, dereliction, neglectfulness
- Full of contradictions, failures and oversights, the architect's personal life seemed to have none of the clarity possessed by his great works.
- In the past year, numerous media accounts have revealed screw-ups, miscalculations and oversights.
- What do you see as the critical lapses or perhaps oversights?
- 2 [mass noun] The action of overseeing something: effective oversight of the financial reporting processMore example sentences
- The obvious solution is direct government oversight in the form of industry regulations.
- No other state agency exercises effective oversight over army expenditures.
- The lax regulatory oversight and risk management are now being reborn as bad loans.