Stay longer than the time, limits, or duration of: he was arrested for overstaying his visa
More example sentences
- The Justice Department has also announced that it is entering into its criminal data bank the names and descriptions of nearly 300,000 people who are charged with overstaying visas or otherwise staying in the country illegally.
- One girl's father has also been arrested, for overstaying his visa.
- A pregnant Korean woman enters the United States on a visa, overstays the visa and decides to stay in the country permanently.
overstay one's welcome
- see welcome.
- Example sentences
- By way of example, in America, Supreme Court Judges and Presidential appointees are investigated for breaching labour laws like hiring Mexican overstayers and border-jumpers.
- Yet the vast majority of the unknown number of illegal migrants living in Britain are overstayers; that is people who entered Britain legally as visitors, to work, or as students, and failed to go home again.
- We also know that there are more than 60,000 overstayers in Australia - people who have also broken the rules.
Definition of overstay in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.