Definition of overthrust in English:
The thrust of one series of rock strata over another, especially along a fault line at a shallow angle to the horizontal.
- He showed that the great dislocation beneath the Moine Schists was an overthrust, but left open the question of what the original nature of the Moines had been.
- It is true, of course, that some ‘overthrusts’ do exhibit evidence of brecciation and other such indicators of relative movement.
verb (past and past participle overthrust)[with object] Back to top
Force (a body of rock) over another: (as noun overthrusting) the increased overburden resulting from overthrusting
More example sentences
- The thickness of Cenozoic alluvial fill that is overthrust at the South Karlik Tagh front is poorly constrained, and thus the amount of shortening on that bounding fault is a minimum estimate.
- Similar thrust ridges bring tilted Neogene red beds to the surface near the northern margin of the Adak valley and indicate that the valley is being overthrust on both its north and south sides.
- The thickness of this package of sediments is impossible to measure because of the subsequent folding and overthrusting that have taken place.
Definition of overthrust in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan