Definition of overweening in English:
Showing excessive confidence or pride: overweening ambition
More example sentences
- They do not look for, do not see, and do not achieve insight into their fatal flaws - arrogance, overweening pride, hypocrisy, ineptitude, and, increasingly, irrelevance.
- There, culture is seen as synonymous with the country's national identity, with its almost arrogant self-belief, and with an overweening pride in its own achievements.
- We organised races, and spurred by overweening confidence, tested the crafts' stability by standing on the seats and swaying until tipped into the cold water.
overconfident, conceited, cocksure, cocky, smug, haughty, supercilious, disdainful, lofty, patronizing, arrogant, proud, vain, vainglorious, self-important, egotistical, high-handed, magisterial, cavalier, imperious, domineering, dictatorial, overbearing, presumptuous, lordly, peremptory, pompous, officious, blustering, boastful, self-assertive, opinionated, bold, forward, insolent
- Example sentences
- He seemed alarmingly and repugnantly, overweeningly, to believe that he was a great poet; so he thought he could pretty well do what he liked.
- ‘Our support for a Conservative victory - which we concede is unlikely - is superseded by an even greater imperative: to diminish the power of an overweeningly arrogant Prime Minister and restore a healthy democracy to this country.’
- At size 8, I had to admit, I was so self-conscious (and secretly, overweeningly proud of it) that often that was all I was.
Words that rhyme with overweeninggreening, leaning, meaning, screening, spring-cleaning
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.