Definition of overwhelming in English:
1Very great in amount: his party won overwhelming support
More example sentences
- She also wants to use the opportunity to pay tribute to the people in Swindon who have shown her family an overwhelming amount of support since his death.
- Second, the government must unite behind this policy, which is supported by the overwhelming majority of the nation.
- A superintendent told the court that no body or weapon had been found, but that there was an overwhelming amount of circumstantial evidence.
very large, profuse, enormous, immense, inordinate, massive, huge, formidable, stupendous, prodigious, fantastic, staggering, shattering, devastating, sweeping
very strong, forceful, profound, uncontrollable, irrepressible, irresistible, unbearable, overpowering, oppressive, unutterable, compelling, irrefutable
1.1(Especially of an emotion) very strong: she felt an overwhelming desire to giggle
More example sentences
- Maggie, who had been feeling an emotion of overwhelming wonder, now felt panic rise in her throat because of the man was coming into the building.
- But his overwhelming emotion was relief rather than disappointment.
- Feelings of overwhelming sadness or fear, or the inability to feel emotion are common in such people.
- [as submodifier]: friends have been overwhelmingly generousMore example sentences
- The fresh offer was made after First York drivers voted overwhelmingly in favour of striking over pay demands.
- My true love never failed to be anything less than completely, foolishly and overwhelmingly romantic.
- No matter what the health risks, no matter any of the above reasoning, they prove overwhelmingly popular.
- Example sentences
- Comments on the sheer fatigue and overwhelmingness of it all from Judith.
- It captures the overwhelmingness, the exhaustion, the excitement, the isolation, the joy, the sense of being other than what you are.
- The overwhelmingness of it all has kind of changed my mind back to having an abortion.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan