Definition of oviparous in English:
(Of an animal) producing young by means of eggs which are hatched after they have been laid by the parent, as in birds. Compare with viviparous and ovoviviparous.
- In contrast, our experimental study of an oviparous species that does not have parental care is of considerable interest, as any observed family resemblance is likely to be less dependent on pre- and postnatal influences.
- In oviparous species, females can enhance reproductive success by investing in the size, quality, and number of eggs.
- The regulation of hatching behavior in oviparous animals is important for successful reproduction, but is poorly understood.
- Example sentences
- Most catsharks have a system called single oviparity, in which an egg develops inside each oviduct and is deposited outside the female, remaining attached to the substrate until it hatches.
- Given the combination of oviparity, large clutch size, and large adult size, juveniles likely predominated in standing hadrosaur populations.
- By closely examining the nests of birds, we get a glimpse of solutions to the general problems associated with oviparity.
Definition of oviparous in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.