Definition of own goal in English:
1(In soccer) a goal scored when a player inadvertently strikes or deflects the ball into their own team’s goal.
- To add insult to injury the final goal was an own goal by the Abbey centre half.
- Who has scored the most own goals in English football history?
- A team may win a game 5-1, but it can still score an own goal, have three yellow cards and a player sent off.
1.1British informal An act that unintentionally harms one’s own interests: government scores own goal by assisting organized crime in London
More example sentences
- A political party cannot afford to score own goals like these so close to an election.
- What's more, in trying to compete in the ever-changing world of broadcasting, the BBC has scored an own goal.
- The Conservative MP scored an embarrassing own goal yesterday as he tried to put a string of damaging headlines behind him.
Definition of own goal in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan