noun[mass noun] Chemistry
A poisonous crystalline acid with a sour taste, present in rhubarb leaves, wood sorrel, and other plants.
- Alternative name: ethanedioic acid; chemical formula: (COOH)2
More example sentences
- When it does so, however, it leads to the formation of highly toxic products - formic acid and oxalic acid, respectively.
- Mix the ferric ammonium citrate and oxalic acid well, then add the silver nitrate.
- It is an excellent source of beta-carotene, vitamins C, E and K, calcium, potassium, iron, sodium, sulphur, folic acid and oxalic acid.
late 18th century: oxalic from French oxalique, via Latin from Greek oxalis 'wood sorrel'.
More definitions of oxalic acidDefinition of oxalic acid in:
- The US English dictionary