- (Of a process or environment) in which oxygen is involved or present.More example sentences
- Virtually all organisms that survive in oxic environments, whether they are capable of aerobic or anaerobic lifestyles or both, contain enzymes that convert reactive oxygen intermediates to innocuous compounds.
- Some groups of marine bacteria within the proteobacteria are capable of anoxygenic photosynthesis in oxic environments.
- Thus, deposition graded gradually from anoxic environments below the storm wave base to oxic environments above the storm wave base.
1960s: from ox(ide) or ox(ygen) + -ic.
More definitions of oxicDefinition of oxic in:
- The US English dictionary