(also oxidation state)
- A number assigned to an element in chemical combination which represents the number of electrons lost (or gained, if the number is negative), by an atom of that element in the compound.More example sentences
- Electrons are assigned to atoms in covalent and ionic compounds and the oxidation number of each atom is determined.
- A negative oxidation state indicates that an atom can undergo reduction, i.e., gain electrons.
- The oxidation number for both oxygen atoms in hydrogen peroxide is - 1.
More definitions of oxidation numberDefinition of oxidation number in:
- The US English dictionary