- A substance that tends to bring about oxidation by being reduced and gaining electrons.More example sentences
- The oxidizing agent causes the oxidation of an atom by receiving an electron from that atom and is itself reduced.
- When an oxidizing agent removes electrons from a molecule, the chemical structure of the molecule is changed, and the physical properties (like color) are altered.
- The hypochlorite ion is an oxidizing agent that sterilizes water by ridding it of microorganisms.
More definitions of oxidizing agentDefinition of oxidizing agent in:
- The US English dictionary