- A large nocturnal South American rodent that has a reddish-brown coat patterned with rows of white spots and is hunted for its meat.
More example sentences
- Genus Cuniculus, family Dasyproctidae: two species
- We saw squirrel monkeys, capuchins, spider monkeys, peccaries, kinkajous, coatis, howler monkeys, tayras - a large mustelid that Martyn thought was a tree otter - pacas, night monkeys, giant anteaters and a tapir.
- Eight other species, including pacas, pacaranas, spiny rats and porcupines, also steal Brazil nuts stored by agoutis.
- Agoutis are smaller than their relatives the piglike pacas and larger than squirrels, which they resemble.
mid 17th century: via Spanish and Portuguese from Tupi.
More definitions of pacaDefinition of paca in:
- The US English dictionary