- 1Soft material such as foam or cloth used to pad or stuff something: cushions supplied extra padding and decorationMore example sentences
- All wrapped plates are fitted snugly into boxes with plenty of extra padding to make sure the cultures can withstand routine shocks and bumps during handling and transit.
- Door padding is softer and more energy-absorbent.
- Foam padding has been placed at the far end of the track to cushion the blow when students crash into a wall at the end of their sprints.
- 1.1Superfluous material in a book, speech, etc., introduced in order to make it reach a desired length: avoid waffle or padding in your essayMore example sentences
- Halfway through now I'm interested to see where it's going but I feel there's still an awful lot of padding in this book.
- The film version requires substantial padding, as the book only lasts for a few pages.
- On the other hand, Miller's concise strategy is preferable to the approach of padding out the running length.