Definition of paediatrics in English:
plural noun[treated as singular]
- In addition, the clinics have ‘outpatient specialists,’ most often in internal medicine, paediatrics, obstetrics and gynaecology, and otorhinolaryngology.
- At Pontefract, Shipman trained in general medicine, paediatrics and obstetrics and gynaecology before moving to Todmorden in West Yorkshire where he worked as a GP.
- Physicians were in what are considered primary care specialties in the United States: internal medicine, family practice, general practice, paediatrics, and obstetrics and gynaecology.
page from late 16th century:
The page of a book goes back to Latin pagina ‘page’, from pangere ‘to fasten’. The connection between fastening and the page of a book is probably because pagina was originally used of a scroll, made up of strips of papyrus glued together, and then transferred to the page of a book when books replaced scrolls. Before the 16th century older forms, such as pagne, were in use. The other page (Middle English) is first found in the sense ‘youth, male of uncouth manners’ and comes via Old French from Greek paidíon ‘boy, lad’. Page boys at a wedding date from the late 19th century. Paidíon is also the source of the word-element paed- or ped found in words such as paediatrics ‘the medical care of children’ [M19], paedophile ‘child-lover’ [M20], and pedagogue (Late Middle English) formed from the Greek words for ‘child’ and ‘leader’, which was the word in ancient Greece for the slave who took a child to school, but became a term for a teacher in Latin. The Italian pedante ‘teacher’, which entered the language in the late 16th century as pedant may be from pedagogue. See also encyclopedia, pageant
- Example sentences
- It is important that you talk with your pediatric urologist about these side effects if they occur.
- Children who are thought to have an abnormality are urgently referred to a consultant paediatric orthopaedic surgeon.
- Participants were three years of age or younger who used a pediatric clinic for primary care.
Definition of paediatrics in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.