Definition of paedomorphosis in English:
- Facultative paedomorphosis occurs in most species, though individuals in these species usually metamorphose fully into terrestrial adults with robust bodies and limbs, broad heads, and laterally-flattened tails.
- Germ layers, homology, larval evolution, larval origins of the vertebrates, paedomorphosis and heterochrony underpinned the origins of evolutionary embryology, and so I discuss each of these topics.
- By comparison to other squamates, this morphology indicates skeletal paedomorphosis that is common in secondarily marine reptiles.
- Example sentences
- These extremely paedomorphic crinoids lacked arms, which conduct the feeding in normal crinoids.
- Amphiumas are elongate, paedomorphic, aquatic salamanders that superficially resemble the primitive sirens (Sirenidae).
- The orthaceans again have a fibrous secondary shell and are presumed to have arisen from some nisuisid stock, possibly by paedomorphic changes affecting pedicle development in particular.
Definition of paedomorphosis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan