noun[mass noun] Geology
- Basaltic lava forming smooth undulating or ropy masses. Often contrasted with aa.More example sentences
- Herding cattle and galloping horses across rough a'a lava fields and smoother pahoehoe takes a special kind of cowboy-the Kona paniolo.
- Back up above-ground, trek across the surreal terrain that resembles a moon crater and examine the different types of Hawaiian lava: pahoehoe, which has a smooth and ropey surface, and a'a, which resembles stirred up brownies.
- The upper flow unit is well exposed in the Prospect Park quarry and is made up of three types of lava flow structures: massive, columnar basalt, subaqueous, pahoehoe flow lobes, and bedded pillow lava.
mid 19th century: from Hawaiian.
More definitions of pahoehoeDefinition of pahoehoe in:
- The US English dictionary