Definition of paid in English:
past and past participle of pay1.
adjectiveBack to top
1(Of work or leave) for or during which one receives pay: five weeks paid holiday a year
More example sentences
- When a child is ill it should be accepted that fathers will need paid leave to help care for the child.
- Please can you suggest some form of genuine paid work at home that my husband or I could do?
- The Essex study shows women spend less time on household chores but do more paid work.
1.1 [attributive] (Of a person in a specified occupation) in receipt of pay: a paid informer
More example sentences
- It was also rumoured that he was the second highest paid artist in the world next to Picasso.
- It is run by a small team of paid staff and a large number of volunteers from all over the world.
- They appear to be of much more value to the area and its people than the paid officials.
put paid to
- informal Stop abruptly; destroy: Denmark’s victory put paid to our hopes of qualifyingMore example sentences
British informal scupper, put the mockers on, nobble
- But three tries in the space of five minutes just before half-time put paid to any chance of victory.
- Play was due to resume again at 6pm but a squall put paid to that.
- The floods that threatened to deluge the centre of York yesterday put paid to virtually all weekend river match action.
Words that rhyme with paidabrade, afraid, aid, aide, ambuscade, arcade, balustrade, barricade, Belgrade, blade, blockade, braid, brigade, brocade, cannonade, carronade, cascade, cavalcade, cockade, colonnade, crusade, dissuade, downgrade, enfilade, esplanade, evade, fade, fusillade, glade, grade, grenade, grillade, handmade, harlequinade, homemade, invade, jade, lade, laid, lemonade, limeade, made, maid, man-made, marinade, masquerade, newlaid, orangeade, palisade, parade, pasquinade, persuade, pervade, raid, serenade, shade, Sinéad, staid, stockade, stock-in-trade, suede, tailor-made, they'd, tirade, trade, Ubaid, underpaid, undismayed, unplayed, unsprayed, unswayed, upbraid, upgrade, wade
Definition of paid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan