A drug or a medicine for relieving pain.
- Over-the-counter painkiller or anti-inflammatory medicine such as Ibuprofen should reduce pain and swelling.
- The pain of shingles may be relieved by painkillers such as paracetamol.
- For moderate pain, painkillers such as paracetamol may help to provide relief.
- Example sentences
- An infusion of painkilling medicine may be given into a vein (via a ‘drip’).
- There are many other alternative painkilling and anti-inflammatory medicines available.
- The anaesthetist will also use strong painkilling drugs to control pain during and after surgery.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.