1A brush for applying paint.
- The artist's easel, paint box, palettes, paintbrushes and dried tubes of paint occupied a corner.
- We spread out old sheets on folding tables set up in the backyard, put out craft paints in all colors, sponge brushes and paintbrushes, and watched our budding Picassos.
- The new paintbrushes and brush sets are made with safe, seamless ferrules in a variety of sizes, which helps younger children learn to control their brushstrokes.
2 [with modifier] A North American plant which bears brightly coloured brush-like flowering spikes. See also devil's paintbrush.
- Genus Castilleja, family Scrophulariaceae: several species, including the Indian paintbrush (C. coccinea).
- The wetter areas support meadows containing Missouri goldenrod, false toadflax, golden-glow, Indian paintbrush, Mariposa lily, death camas, and prairie smoke.
- Now, gaudy flowers crowd the brooks - paintbrush, gentian, columbine.
- Among the common wildflowers are one-flowered cinquefoil, woolly lousewort, alpine willowherb, three saxifrages, and an Indian paintbrush.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: paint|brush
Definition of paintbrush in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.