Definition of paintbrush in English:
1A brush for applying paint.
- The artist's easel, paint box, palettes, paintbrushes and dried tubes of paint occupied a corner.
- We spread out old sheets on folding tables set up in the backyard, put out craft paints in all colors, sponge brushes and paintbrushes, and watched our budding Picassos.
- The new paintbrushes and brush sets are made with safe, seamless ferrules in a variety of sizes, which helps younger children learn to control their brushstrokes.
2 [with modifier] A North American plant which bears brightly coloured brush-like flowering spikes. See also devil's paintbrush.
- Genus Castilleja, family Scrophulariaceae: several species, including the Indian paintbrush (C. coccinea)
- The wetter areas support meadows containing Missouri goldenrod, false toadflax, golden-glow, Indian paintbrush, Mariposa lily, death camas, and prairie smoke.
- Now, gaudy flowers crowd the brooks - paintbrush, gentian, columbine.
- Among the common wildflowers are one-flowered cinquefoil, woolly lousewort, alpine willowherb, three saxifrages, and an Indian paintbrush.
Definition of paintbrush in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan