Definition of pair-bond in English:
(Of an animal or person) form a close relationship through courtship and sexual activity with one other animal or person: only 3 per cent of all animal species pair-bond
More example sentences
- Birds are much more likely than other animals to pair-bond.
- For some bird species pair-bonding lasts a lifetime.
- They display classic pair-bonding behavior - entwining of necks, mutual preening, flipper flapping, and the rest.
nounBack to top
(pair bond) A relationship formed by pair-bonding.
- In this species, long-tailed males are preferred by females both to form a pair bond and to engage in extrapair copulations.
- Pairs of breeding forest-falcons sing duets before sunrise, a behavior that presumably functions to advertise their occupation of a territory, and perhaps to strengthen the pair bond.
- This species is interesting because they are socially monogamous - that is, an adult male and female form a lifelong pair bond.
Definition of pair-bond in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan