noun[mass noun] Indian
- 1A type of chintz cloth used, especially formerly, for bedspreads, wall hangings, etc..More example sentences
- Only the wealthiest classes could afford to buy palampore.
- Artist Andrew Daniel was inspired in his design by palampore tapestries.
- 1.1 [count noun] A palampore bedspread.More example sentences
- These two palampores with an almost identical central palm tree and bamboo designs have very different borders, and date to the late eighteenth or early nineteenth century.
- It is clear that the first American ship to sail to India came home with a cargo that included palampores.
- Another late eighteenth-century palampore was generously donated recently.
late 17th century: origin uncertain; perhaps from Portuguese palangapuz(es) plural, from Urdu, Persian palangpoš 'bedcover', or perhaps from Pālanpur, a town in Gujarat, India.
More definitions of palamporeDefinition of palampore in:
- The US English dictionary